Guide for Int'l Students
For Current Students
[Scholarship Summary(PDF, 42K)]
Scholarships for studying in Japan include the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship as well as scholarships for privately-financed international students.
- Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT)
- There are three ways to apply for the MEXT Scholarship. The allowance is as follows.
Types of Students Monthly Stipend Undergraduate Student 117,000 yen Research Student Non-Degree Student 143,000 yen Master's Course 144,000 yen Doctoral Course 145,000 yen
- The MEXT recipient is called "Kokuhi Ryugakusei."
- 1. Applying to the Japanese embassy in your home country (Embassy Recommendation)
- The student who lives outside of Japan can apply to the Japanese embassy in his/her country.
- The first application selection process takes place at the Japanese overseas embassy. The selection process consists of an examination of the application, a written test, as well as an oral test.
- The Japanese embassy recommends the applicant who passes the first selection to the MEXT. The MEXT holds a meeting and selects a MEXT scholar.
- For details, please inquire at the Japanese embassy nearest you.
- 2. Applying through the University of Miyazaki (University of Miyazaki Recommendation)
- The student who lives outside of Japan can apply through the University of Miyazaki.
- University of Miyazaki recommends the applicant with excellent academic record and need for financial assistance to the MEXT. The MEXT holds a meeting and selects a MEXT scholar.
- 3. Applying while enrolled at the University of Miyazaki (Domestic Acceptance)
- Privately-financed international students* can apply for the MEXT Scholarship. University of Miyazaki recommends the applicant with excellent academic record and need for financial assistance to the MEXT. The MEXT holds a meeting and selects a MEXT scholar.
- graduate students (master'course/doctoral course) and final-year student of undergraduate students
- Allowance Procedure
- Students must go to the Global Support Office (GSO) before appointed day (We let students know in advance by e-mail ) of every month and sign their names to confirm enrollment for that month's scholarship.
- If a student is not in Japan from the first day of the month to the last day of the month, that month's scholarship money will not be provided.
- Allowance Period Extension
- For a MEXT scholar wishing to extend their period of international study, the extension application period is every year around October. For details, please inquire at the GSO.
- However, because extensions sometimes cannot be granted you must carry out procedures for returning to your home country at the same time that you apply for an extension. You also need to consider if you can stay in Japan and continue your research as a privately-financed student.
- Scholarships for privately-financed international students
- International students who wish to apply for a scholarship need to register every semester. Please submit the registration form without fail if you wish to apply for the scholarships. If you don't submit the registration form, you cannot apply for the scholarships.
- Scholarship information will be posted at your faculty and on the bulletin board for international students on the first floor of the student hall. Please be sure to check the bulletin board often.
- Privately-financed scholarship programs provided are shown below.
- Honors scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
- Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- Konan Asia Scholarship
- Heiwa Nakajima Foundation Scholarship, etc.
- You can get information about private organization's scholarships from the JAPAN STUDY SUPPORT (JPSS).